The following Colorado Itinerary is what my friend and I have planned out for an upcoming adventure in this beautiful state.
I always find it best to have it planned out with an abundance of photographic opportunities so that there is plenty of wiggle room to change plans according to the weather at a moment’s notice and/or in advance (if necessary).
The worst thing you can do, is to try to “stick to the script” no matter what. That only leads to frustration and less creativity in the long run.
It is better to have a plan than not to have one!
I will blog post excursion to compare what we mapped ahead of time to what actually transpired while there.
The Colorado Itinerary
– Arrive late Thursday in Denver and stay Thursday night at friend’s house.
– Leave very early Friday morning and drive to Mt. Evans for Bristle Cones. Drive to the west entrance of RMNP – up Trail Ridge Road Stop for photos where ever looks good (maybe see some elk?).
– Hike to one of several lakes in the park and stay for afternoon photos (may need headlamps if we stay until dusk).
– Stay in Estes Park.
– Early morning photos in RMNP
– Leave Estes Park and take I25 south
– Stop at Red Rocks Amphitheater
– Continue south to Paint Mines Interpretive Park
– stay overnight in Colorado Springs.
– Sunrise photos at Garden of the Gods
– Continue south to Great Sand Dunes
– afternoon/evening photos at the Dunes
– Check into a Motor Inn.
– Early arrival at Sand Dunes for Golden Hour photos (sun crests the mountains a bit late for perfect morning light.
– explore the area around the dunes, Zapata Falls….
– Drive to Del Norte and stay overnight.
– Leave before sun up
– Drive west on 160 toward Pagosa Springs
– Cross Continental Divide and look for good sunrise photos
– Continue toward Durango stopping for photos as needed
– Stop in Durango – supposed to be a great old west town
– Head north on 550 to Silverton
– Stop in Silverton for the night
– Should be plenty of late-day photo ops in that area.
– Leave before sunrise and head to Telluride
– Lots of good Aspen groves on that drive – Stop for fall colors (hopefully)
– Explore Telluride and hike up to Bridal Veil Falls
– Spend the night in Telluride.
– Leave EARLY and head to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison
– Photos at the Black Canyon
– Drive east to Salida – lunch
– Head north on 24 to Granite
– Take 62 west over Independence Pass toward Aspen
– Photos along the Pass – maybe wait for sunset
– Stay in Aspen/Snowmass overnight.
– Head to Maroon Bells at sunrise
– Photos at the Bells for as long as we need and around the area
– Possibly got McClure Pass (excellent Aspens there)
– Leave Aspen and head to Glenwood Springs
– Drive on I-70 through Glenwood Canyon. Stop for photos
– Arrive in Vail for more Aspen Photos (hopefully)
– Stay in Vail (Minturn) or area for the night.
Return to Denver and stop for photos along the way.
Sunday and Monday
Rest and maybe some city photos? Bask in the afterglow that the Colorado Itinerary exceeded all expectations!
Tuesday-fly back to NY
Here are just a few examples of what is in store for yours truly! To say I’m a bit excited is an understatement.